[orca-list] No speech in terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

Hello everyone

Thank you to all of you who have helped me so far on my travels in the UNIXVerse.

An interesting problem has occurred with Speakup. I still cannot get it to run, but I have no speech feedback in the terminal that is brought up with the CTRL+ALT F key combination. I have tried to load Speakup, but it will not speak even after loading the espeakup service. However, when I try to do this in the GUI terminal, I am not presented with errors for either command. I am assuming that the same is true when in the text terminal.

Following the advice from a blog I found about running Speakup on Ubuntu 13.10, I added myself to the 'audio' group under something called ALSA, which I assume has something to do with audio output. I then tested the espeak synth in the text terminal and received speech feedback. This suggests to me that audio is working perfectly, but that Speakup is not picking it up for some reason. Has anyone else encountered this please? Also, has anyone else found that occasionally, when returning to the GUI there is no Orca speech?

Thank you

James