Re: [orca-list] planning to revisit twitter, any tips?

If you can't get graphical user interface applications to work satisfactorily, try oysttyer and run it in a terminal. Current version is 1.7.2 and you'll find you will need a few additional perl packages installed to get it working smoothly.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Alex Midence wrote:

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:22:13
From: Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com>
To: 'Storm Dragon' <stormdragon2976 gmail com>, orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] planning to revisit twitter, any tips?

Honestly, the best experience for a blind person on Twitter and Facebook is the handheld device.  Both
Android and iOS have far more accessible and painless solutions for accessing these two than you will
probably find on the Linux desktop.  Windows solutions with their commercial screen reader support aren't
even that good.  That Corebird looks promising but it also has its limitations.  Same thing with Smuxi's
interface and that of Pidgin.  I think the best experiences I've heard about are with that perl-based CLI
solution called TTYtter.  Other than that, it's pretty hit and miss.

As for the alternative social media platform approach, all well and good but, you see, people don't just want
any old social media platform, they want the one everyone is actually using.  What good is full accessibility
if you're the only one on there?  For instance, I once tried identi.ca because someone told me how cool it
was ETC and found it paled compared to Twitter and Facebook because everyone I knew and wanted to
contact/follow was on the two mainstream ones and not on identi.ca and had no interest in joining it.

Alex M