Re: [orca-list] autodetection of keyboard layout

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 02:00:00PM AEST, kendell clark wrote:
hi all
I've got a sonar user who's new to linux and is trying sonar. So far he
seems to like it, but he's got one of those laptops that don't have an
insert key, and orca maps it's modifier by default to the insert key.
Would it be possible to either map by default to both insert and caps
lock or add some sort of autodetection feature where orca would detect
the type of keyboard you're using and switch it's layout accordingly?

I've thought off and on about this over the years, and giving it fresh
thought now, I've actually had another idea, although this may not be
practicle, given the nature of how Orca is used on the desktop, more as a
service than an application.

When Orca is run for the first time, it could ask the user what keyboard
layout they have, and provide an easy way to select the appropriate option.
Once selected, Orca would adjust the configuration appropriately, let the
user know the chosen setting, and inform them on how they can find out about
what shortcuts are available for the chosen layout.

Luke