[orca-list] Orca not speaking after Kali linux installation

Hi all,

I installed Kali Linux into a virtual machine. I used the following iso.
http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2016.2/kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso

I was able to start orca at the time of installation and installed kali into the
virtual machine. When I boot the machine, there is no speech. I have tried the
following.
1. I hit alt+f2 and typed orca. Nothing happened.
2. I hit alt+f2 and typed orca --replace without success.
3. I tried alt+windows key + s but got no speech.

Has anyone else experienced this? I doubt this is an orca bug per se because I
was reading about audio issues with kali linux but I have no way to check.

In addition, I see that kali Linux has been ported to the raspberry pi. Has orca
been also ported?

Before anyone asks, the Kali Linux forums may have been a better place to ask
the above but they have a CAPTCHA that involves rearranging images. My messages
to them on twitter have gone unanswered as far as I can tell.
Pranav