Re: [orca-list] How are you increasing the eSpeak rate beyond what speech-dispatcher permits?

Yes, this is correct, been doing it for years.
Just one note, also increase mninium and average speeds so that the jumps between available levels, each
percent in other words do not grow huge and
tweaking rates is no longer an option in many cases.
I Raise the bottom end up around 150 wpm as I've never found anyone who speaks Englilsh who can wundrestand
80wpm and not 150, but I am sure such people
exist somewhere in the scheme of things.
I put the middle value up around 350, and the high end at 650.
Thus between 0 and 50 percent each percent increases voice rate aprox. 4 wpm, and each percent increase over
50% increases speaking rate about 6WPM.
Unless you need a machine to work for a number of users with very different listening profiles and abilities
you can of course make the range between
slowest and fastest r\smaller. I keep some fairly slow speeds available for demos to folks not used to synth
speech, or at least not used to espeak.
I think there was significantly more phonym loss at some point soon after the sonic code was integrated
allowing for the crazy fast speech, but that was
years ago, and while I think some were complaining about some dropped sounds and or other issues a couple
years back, I did not have the problems.
I've run espeak faster than I could ever use and it still seemed to be pronouncing things well, but I'm
pretty sure some sylables come out lesss than
clearly at some point.
   Things are still pronounced well up to around 800wpm I think, but can't honestly tell much when we get up
around 1000wpm.
I doubt anyone is very productive at anything near max speed, and even at 700words per minute I find myself
repeating more than makes sense, i.e. I lose
more than the time I save with faster speech listening to repetition.
oSorry to go on so long, but just to say, I've used the modified espeak module files with both pulse and pure
alsa running systems, and done so for 4 years
if a day.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 12:06:36AM -0500

hi
while I'm no expert at this, there's a way to increase the maximum rate
speech-dispatcher will use for espeak. It's in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak.conf for regular espeak, and
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-ng.conf for espeak ng. Ng is any
version after 1.48.15 for those of you who don't know. And joanie the
experience is *not* aweful. I don't know who wrote that but whoever it
was frankly does not know what he/she is talking about. If you define
something as aweful when you need to change one line in a config file
... I'll shut up there because if I don't I'll rant. Anyway there's a
config option called  "# Maximum rate (100 in speech-dispatcher)"
After that, the option looks like espeak-max-rate followed by a value in
wpm (words per minute). Nvda's default value for this is 450 wpm, but
speech-dispatcher  sets it to 390. Nvda does something odd with espeak
by having a "rate boost" check box that automatically increases the
speech rate by some order of magnitude. I'm not sure of the precise
numbers but it's quite a bit faster than I can understand. Past 450 wpm
espeak uses a library called "libsonic" to speak faster, and the results
can sound a bit odd. I think the highest espeak can go is something like
1600 words per minute, so you can set this to as high as you want. Save
and close, and restart speech-dispatcher and you're good to go.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

To quote from twitter: "While I can't increase the eSpeak rate as in
NVDA, the experience with Orca is awful."

Bit of a buzzkill after all the positiveness, but anyway.... I have
vague recollections of people working around this. It would be great if
someone could save me the trip and give me the answer. <smiles>

Thanks!
--joanie