Re: [orca-list] Semi-OT: Selecting Pulse device/profile from the command line

First, I feel for you! When this kind of thing does not work automatically it can be a nightmare to deal with.
I have never had quite such a complex setup as you are running, so can not give specific help.
One thing I have done in the past that may or not apply to your case is to backup my personal pulse directory
and copyit back when things stop working as
desired.
This is found in your home directory,
~/.config/pulse
Again, I am not sure this will be the ticket for you, but it can't hurt to try.
Good luck, and let us know if you find this works or figure anything else out that is helpful.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Nolan Darilek wrote:
Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:50:26PM -0500

I have a semi-complicated soundsetup. My laptop has crappy internal speakers
that I don't use unless I have to. It plugs in via USB to a dock, which has
an internal sound device that I don't use. To the dock I've connected a
Creative USB 5.1 surround system to which my desktop speakers connect, and
which sees most of my use. I also run a set of wireless headphones, also
connected via USB, which are only occasionally connected and in use.

This complicated setup never gave Windows any issues, but Linux/Pulse just
can't handle it. At the moment I have the correct sound setup configured,
but if I disconnect my hub then I often don't get sound back when I
reconnect it. I've taken to pulling the hub connection, which causes
fallback to the internal speakers, at which point I navigate to Settings and
reconfigure the right connections.

But lately something is horribly broken and I don't know what. Sometimes,
despite arrowing up and down on the device selection combo box, sound goes
away and never comes back (I.e. I'd expect it to return at some point if my
selection lands back on Internal Speakers, but it never does.) Sometimes,
plugging back in the hub doesn't bring back my USB devices (as in, even my
USB keyboard doesn't come back) and I can only conclude that rapidly cycling
devices is confusing some subsystem or other.

Does anyone have any experience configuring this mess via the command line?
It would be useful if I could dump my configuration as it is now, run a
terminal command, and restore my preferred configuration without using the
GUI. I also want to restore my sound profile to 5.0 Surround, which lately
seems to be causing crashes as well. I seem to be locking up Linux entirely
such that I can't even switch to another TTY and reboot.

As a semi-related aside, is there a way to navigate settings in combo boxes
without selecting them? I'm wondering if I can navigate directly to the
device I want and activate it without navigating through, and presumably
rapidly cycling, a whole bunch of other devices between my current choice
and the one I want. I don't know if that might be causing anything, I'm just
annoyed at having to hard shutdown this laptop all of a sudden because I've
lost all but my internal speakers.

Thanks.