Re: [orca-list] Some shortcut key to turn off monitor

It may be machine specific, but it also may be due to the kernel and  or graphics stack you are using.
My 6 year old dells machines can use the vbetool command on Vinux/Ubuntu, even running kernels as new as 4.4,
but as of asome update around kernel 4.2 to
4.4, not sure exactly when, it sopped working on arch. Again, it could be related to the graphics support and
some other updatethat happened along with one
of those kernel updates.
There is a little script that comes with vinux called monitor toggle that can turn off your monitor, but you
must be using a gui and have xrandr installed,
but as this is the orca list we will assume that everyone has a Linux gui.
Actually I do not start my GUI all the time, so I do have a problem on my arch box. I can sometimes turn off
the screen using some console config commands,
but it will come back on in normal use, right away if one is not paying attention,m and pretty much
inevitably pretty soon, so there is no across the board
reliable CLI onlyh solution, although tvbe tool works for more users than not still.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Krishnakant wrote:
Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 05:28:57PM +0530

vbetool dpms off does not work on all machines.

Lenovo thinkpad t440 has this issue.

happy hacking.

Krishnakant.