Re: [orca-list] Anyone else using Orca on BSD

I used Qemu on a Linux live usb to do the install. Qemu is a program
that allows you to direct output from inside virtual machines to the
terminal that it is running on. This allows you to use Speakup or Orca
on the live usb to read the text from FreeBSD which runs in the virtual
machine. Then what I do is specify the actual hard drive in my machine
as the drive for the virtual machine in qemu. After you do the install
and get everything set up with Orca, you can shut down the virtual
system, and the live usb. You can then boot your actual computer off the
drive that you used the virtual machine to install on.

Start Qemu with a command like: qemu-system-x86_64 --curses -cdrom
"path-to-FreeBSD iso" --drive
format=raw,file="path-to-harddrive-in-machine"

If your machine has hardware virtualization, you could add the
--enable-kvm flag to the command to drastically speed up the performance
of the virtual machine. The default memory allocated to the virtual
machine by default is quite low. If you have extra ram, use the -m
argument to the command above to allocate more. For example, -m 1024
will give the machine 1 gb of ram.