Re: [orca-list] feature request: disable orca for application

Anything can get slow if you over burden your system, and of course if you do not alocate enough resources to
your host system when running a VM, or
just do not have enough resource to alocate things can slow donw, but rest starting and stoping  orca is
quite fast, certainly comparable with any
screenreader I've ever used.
I guess this could save some people a few secods, but it would seem mostly inthe cases where someone does not
have enough memory for what they are
doing.
If I understand what could be done you would only beprioritizing orca, i.e. it'd not swap out as it might if
stopped on a machine with maxed out RAM.
Maybe this is worth looking in to, but we are talking about relatively small time savings for the users who
would use this.
Personally, unless I'm missing something, I would put this pretty lowon the priority list of things to do,
but of course if it is easy and does not
negatively effect anything else, go for it.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Michał Zegan wrote:
Wed, May 25, 2016 at 01:59:09PM +0200

Hello.

This has been requested before, so I will intentionally repeat the request.
I would like orca to be able to be suspended for one application (or
even for all applications until explicitly unsuspended). when suspended,
orca should behave the same as when you focus an inaccessible window,
where orca keys usually do not work at all.
Reasons:
1 - self voicing applications, although if they use sdl or another
inaccessible toolkit they have it for free,
2 - remote desktops and virtual machines... I cannot currently use
virtual machine's screenreader when orca is running, if the virtual
machine viewer is using a gtk window, disabling orca is possible but I
actually believe that after few such toggles something breaks and no
global desktop shortcuts like that work anymore,requiring to kill
gnome-settings-daemon,  also disabling and enabling orca is supposed to
be slow on my computer especially when a vm is running.