Re: [orca-list] sound through pulse audio running as root may soon be fixed

Just curious: you are saying that in sonar you can not start espeakup with
something like
gksu espeakup
from a script?
I made a .desktop to run the script that actuallly starts espeakup and had
no issues with my console speech using F123 which is also based on
manjaro.
Actually I don't think I need the script, i.e. everything can be done from
a .desktop file using an X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay
 line.
I was using a script because I was letting systemd autostart espeakup
expermenting with reading some of the startup messages, so killed this
espeakup process in the script and after a delay of a few secs restarted
it with gksu.
I wish you the best of luck with the pulse thing for brltty and such of
course, and hopefully we will be able to use systemd to start espeakup
with no need to then restart as explained above as well.
I don't have much time to hang out on irc these days, but may drop in on
the PA chan/maybe get lucky and catch the conversation re root sound.

--
B. Henry

*follow me on Twitter @BurtHenry
 *connect on *GTalk or *AIM
     (this address)
*Yahoo burt1iband
&I'm on *Linkedin & *FaceBook

kendell clark wrote:
    08/05/2016 at 06:42

kchi list
kcI've forwarded this from the sonar list because I know some of you use
kcspeakup via the command line, storm in particular and have cursed pulse
kcaudio for making this overly difficult. Pasted message below.
kc
kchi all
kcI think I might finally be able to get a longstanding and nearly
kcimpossible bug fixed in pulse audio soon. The problem with brltty not
kcspeaking is that age old problem of pulse audio not letting the sound
kcthrough because the application is being run as root.
kc
kcDave mielke  has agreed to work with both me and the PA people to fix
kcthis issue. If this bug can get fixed and I'm going to do all that I can
kcto make sure it does, this will likely fix a lot more than just brltty.
kcIt will fix speakup's inability to work with pulse audio because it's
kcrun as root. The reason I'm making such a big deal of this is because
kcthis has been an embarrassing issue for all of us linux accessibility
kcadvocates being unable to fix an issue any windows user would
kcimmediately point out as a showstopper even if they had no idea what
kcspeakup was or what it did.
kc
kcIt's been done before. I'm not sure when I'll connect to the pulse
kcchannel to get the ball rolling, probably some time tomorrow once I've
kchad some rest but if you guys have the time, hang out on #pulseaudio on
kcirc.freenode.net to lend support.
kc
kcI don't want these people trying to pass the issue off as "not our bug"
kcor "go bug the other guys". If enough blind people turn up and try to
kchelp they might not be able to do that.
kcThanks
kcKendell Clark
kc
kcorca-list mailing list