[orca-list] Using Speakup in Ubuntu 16.04

Hi,

This is a little outside the list's main purpose, but hopefully within its usual scope.

I'm starting a new job tomorrow. Apparently as part of it, I get a computer (I think it's a laptop but not sure) with Ubuntu 16.04 (they wouldn't install Debian on it).

I managed to persuade the IT people to start Orca during the installation so that the desktop environment gets optimised for use with Orca. I did not want to have to figure out all of that when doing it afterwoods.

The truth is, however, that I don't usually use the desktop in Linux. I mostly use the console, and have not used Orca for some time.

I think it's good that it's there, as some things are likely to require a graphical browser, etc. So expect some Orca/Gnome/Unity questions in the near future.

What I need to know now though is, having installed the system with the graphical desktop etc, is there anything special I need to do to get Speakup working other than installing eSpeakup, and do I need to do anything in particular to make it play nice with Orca?

Extra points for being able to have the desktop NOT come up on start-up but still available if I want it. I used to do this but it's been quite awhile and this was pre-systemd.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Geoff.