[orca-list] starting orca after debean installation

Hi all. I've just installed the full DVD of Debean. I installed it with the "debean desktop environment."
After restarting, it beeped, then nothing, for a few hours. I used speech during the installer, since
Brailletty, the version on the disk, did not detect my VarioUltra, as only 5.3 can do that. I tried pressing
control+super+ness, but nothing happened. I think that the volume is set to mute, or something like it. Is
there something I should do, or is debean finishing installation or something? I'm running the latest Debean
8 release, as I downloaded the iOS today. The installer finished successfully. The virtual machine I'm
installing on has 2 cores, and 1300 megs of ram, a little over a gig.