Re: [orca-list] Accessibility of apps

On 2/22/2016 5:46 PM, kendell clark wrote:
hi
Obligate is rather strong. Do I think software developers are obligated
to make their software accessible if at all possible? Well, to be
honest, yes. But that's only because if it's inaccessible, I can't use
it. No iffs, ands, or buts.

I offer a counter opinion I've come to through my own experiences with an acquired disability.

I would argue against creating the obligation to make software accessible. Quite frankly, most developers can't implement a good GUI even though we have almost 30 years industry experience with the interface. If developer screw up something that's well understood, do we really want them creating an interface in a mode they just don't understand?

The "because they will screw it up" argument is why I advocate for an api on top of which we can build accessibility interfaces.

From what I can tell, I think the current APIs are overly complicated and incomplete. For example, can you easily build a speech driven interface with the current toolkits? From what I can tell, the answer is no.

When building a speech interface, I need to know where is my focus so I can turn on or off direct dictation, contents of the text area so I can edit text using speech interface, what data elements (application settings) can I read and write, what contexts are available so I can build a grammar for specific to those contexts?

So no, developers should not be obligated to make software accessible. However they should be obligated to build interfaces to the user interface and to fix the API when it fails a publicly held/managed regression test.