Re: [orca-list] Initial commit of sound support done -- NOT hooked up quite yet

Just a quick thought on progress tone beeps, I won't bikeshed this but wanted to throw it out there:

I've used NVDA for a while and like the feature, but don't like its implementation much. It seems to use a linear progression of beeps through a pretty wide tonal range. As such, I sometimes find it hard to estimate how far a progress bar is along because I forget what the low and high tones sound like. Also, tonal progression at least in terms of music is logarithmic, and I think the curve of tones sounds better when done non-linearly. I think NVDA's approach is linear, so it sounds less like a progression and more like a series of disjointed beeps. Just as we perceive volume logarithmically, so do we perceive tone.

I can't find a good audio example, unfortunately. But it should be fairly easy for someone with a bit of audio experience to demo a sine wave sweeping an octave in a linear and logarithmic pattern, and the latter sounds like a progression while the former just sounds like a sweep.

I'd also suggest well-established, easy-to-remember bounds. Maybe 0% at middle C and 100% an octave higher, with a logarithmic progression through the octave. I think this would make it significantly easier to audibly track the progress bar.

I know the above are small details, but I think they'd make a huge difference perceptually. Every time I hear an NVDA progress bar beep I only have a vague idea how far the bar is along. And by "vague" I don't mean "is it 51% or 52?" but "is it halfway done or only a third?"