Re: [orca-list] The new Hypra website

Well said as always CJ.

On 28/08/16 13:53, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
All things being equal, I'd prefer and promote the use of open and
free software, but I also think that freedom includes the right to use
the software of your choice and the right to choose where you spend
your time as a developer.

Anyone who knows me or is on different lists with me knows that I use
Linux by choice. I don't shove it down anyone's throat though, and I
don't get bent out of shape because others choose to use Windows or
another proprietary system. I may ask why someone is using a
proprietary system, and I may point out the benefits of using a
comparable free and open solution, but if they choose not to listen to
me then that's fine. I would never criticize anyone or put someone
down for using a proprietary solution if their job requires it or just
because they choose to do so.

I also think this freedom extends to developers and engineers as well.
If someone has a solution that people will pay for then I don't have a
problem with people deciding to go the proprietary route. Not
everyone, in today's economic system, can afford to just contribute
their time to open and free projects. Also, not every company has the
revenue channels to make money on open products. Cannonical has been
trying for years to turn a profit based around open source solutions,
but the last I knew, they still weren't profitable. Sure companies
like Google, IBM and Microsoft have contributed to open source
projects, but they are large companies with diverse revenue streams,
often including proprietary products.

As I said above, I prefer open products myself, and I've said in the
past, I respect those who are able to commit to and use only open
products.