Re: [orca-list] is this an orca bug? changing speech-dispatcher's support for espeak's varients doesn't enable the varients to show up

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 01:30:18AM AEST, kendell clark wrote:
hi
Vinux will probably get the new speech-dispatcher if they don't have it
already. The one thing they don't have is a lot of varients. Espeak does
come with some, but sonar uses espeak ng, which is an espeak fork
created by reece dunn, the guy who does espeak for android, and he ships
the nvda varients along with espeak.

Vinux as of now does have speech-dispatcher 0.8.5, whicih does support
espeak-ng, and by that, I mean you literally can have 2 different espeak
modules, one for espeak, and one for espeak-ng.

So far as I know, nobody has packaged espeak-ng for Debian based distros yet,
and this is most likely because there are no actual releases of espeak-ng in
tarball form. Nevertheless, I am likely going to take some time to
package it, and offer it as an alternative in Vinux going forward.

I'm not sure if vinux will ever switch over to that. I think they, and all
other linux distros should mostly because espeak itself doesn't seem likely
ever to get further
updates.

As above, I think we will see espeak-ng offered as an alternative once there
is a tarball release.

Luke