Re: [orca-list] significant lag when espeak varients are enabled

Better to write a short how to on adding variant data to a voice file, and or script this so that the extra
data is removed before appending a variant
file on to a voice one.
I do hope this is dealt with in speech-dispatcher, but who knows how long it will be before this gets done.
If anyone is looking for a project, I'd say helping out with SD is one of the things that could help the most
users of all the projects that need
attention.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:46:26AM -0500

hi
Got it. I completely agree with everything you've said hear. It's just a
matter of someone changing speech-dispatcher. Last I remember, luke and
a few other people were working on this, but I haven't heard anything
lately. If you can't do anything about it I think I'll turn varients off
until they're better supported. Otherwise I'll have to provide tech
support when people start asking me why orca is so slow lol.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hi Kendell.

What you are doing is using an unsupported feature which is causing a
combo box in Orca to have thousands and thousands of items. Combo boxes
were never met to have thousands and thousands of items. So I can see if
there's anything I can do to make Orca less laggy in your over-stuffed
combo box. But what would be the best fix is for Speech Dispatcher to
provide API to get the variants in some other fashion so you don't wind
up stuffing a combo box with more items than it should have.

--joanie