Re: [orca-list] removing pulse audio. will this work?

You can run skype with out pulse, but does it let you actually talk and listen with out it?
OK, now I see the package, had a dash in the name,
lib32-apulse
I'd have certainly given this a try a few months ago when I finally broke down and installed pulse on my arch
box.
Some one should talk to the package maintainer for skype and change the post install msg to mention this and
list this as an alt dep. Last I looked at
/installed skype on arch it gave a message about pulse being required to voice chat.
Anyway, after all that and my slight aprehention re installing s pulse on a perfectly good pure alsa system,
pulse has treated me fine on arch using
dmix.
I'm trying to remember which if any other application absolutely required pulse.
I know mangler had to be held back a version or two  to work with out it.
So, as far as you know does the apulse lib work with any and all applications that normally require PA?
Sorry if I sounded a doubter at the beginning of the msg, but when I could not even find the package yo
mentiohned I thought the a must have been a
typop...lol/was just the missing dash of course.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Storm Dragon wrote:
Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 03:08:46PM -0400

howdy,
In Arch, at least, you can install skype without pulse. There's a package called lib32apulse which fakes
skype in to thinking it is running in pulse. I have not really liked pulse since it came out. It's always
caused far more problems for me than it solved. The only thing I ever really thought was neat about pulse
was recording from the sound card, and maybe per-application volume controls, but well written apps have
that built in anyway, using pulse or not.
HTH
Storm