Re: [orca-list] Orca at install time on Ubuntu server 15.04?

On 9/27/2015 10:27 PM, kendell clark wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does the ubuntu server edition have a desktop
installed? If so, what desktop is it? If unity, all you're supposed to
need to do is press alt+windows+s to get orca to speak. After that orca
should start automatically. If this fails, press alt+f2 to open up the
run dialog and type orca --replace. If this still doesn't work I'll have
to dig further, although orca --replace is supposed to cause orca to
start, killing any other orca procs that may be running but hung.

My understanding is the server edition doesn't ship a desktop. Maybe that's why it's called Server. I don't think it's accessible at all. I haven't looked in a few years, but even though the installer uses D-I, it doesn't seem to support speech. Luke, please correct me on this.

Installing the standard desktop release is simple enough, but as the op says, it doesn't support software RAID, so it would have to be set up manually. It doesn't let you set this up when formatting the partition, thus creating a lot of extra complications because the op would have to install, make a backup, boot a rescue CD, set up software RAID, restore the backup and hope it works. If the assignment is simply being able to set up an MD array during install and isn't specific to Ubuntu, Debian is the far easier and better way to go.