[orca-list] does gnome have two sound volumes?

hi all
I've just noticed an odd issue. This is not an orca issue, I'm just
posting it here for any gnome users to comment on, because I can't join
the gnome lists, too many captchas that I can't get past. There seems to
be two different sound volumes. I'll demonstrate. First, go into the
sound settings panel in the control center. Press the "where am I"
shortcut on the "output volume" slider. I hear: output volume: slider
31454 31 percent. If I check the same thing on the top bar under
settings, I hear: volume slider 0.5 47 percent. Again, use the where am
I shortcut or you'll only get the slider, not it's percentage. This is
for my builtin sound card. If I plug in my headset, I hear: output
volume: slider  50153 50 percent.  In the top bar panel I hear: volume
slider 0.8 76 percent. If I plug my headset into a windows box, mellisa
has one, the volume thingy on the task bar  starts at 50 percent. The
only reason I'm mentioning windows is because I think both it and
gnome's sound panel are telling me the hardware level volume, that is,
the level at which the hardware is set to. I'm not sure at all what the
top panel is measuring. It took me a while to figure this one out, I
thought it was a problem with the headset, then I thought it was a
problem in the linux USB sound drivers. Has anyone noticed this? And if
so, is it a bug? If it's a bug, what do I file it against? gnome shell,
pulse audio? Help would really be appreciated, I'm stumped.
Thanks
Kendell clark