Re: [orca-list] When testing what looks like an Orca hang

Your great mind and my feable one are on the same track.
Before I read this as I mentioned in my off list message with latest orca from master, not with the orca
version from yesterday I think it was I was
running, orca started speaking again when I ran pkill speech-dispatch.
I checked and saw a different process number after orca went silent than I'd seen before. Obviously the
process number changed again after kiliung the
speech-dispatcher process.
Perhaps if I'd forced things with the -9 I'd have gotten the same result before the orca update.
I'll roll back in a couple minutes after I eat and check this and something else.
Is it just me, or is speech cutting off when pronouncing very long strings, i.e. long urls now in this most
recent version of orca from master?

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:58:10PM -0400

Hey all.

Three of you have reported that Orca is hanging/freezing. And I keep not
being able to reproduce it. In one instance, however, it looks like Orca
is not hanging or freezing, but instead is continuing to work. Speech
Dispatcher may have crashed though.

I'm still trying to debug this because, again, I cannot reproduce it as
reported. However, in the case of B.H.'s offending bookmark link, I did
a quick test with spd-say: If in a terminal without Orca running I do:

    spd-say "hello world"

I hear "hello world". But if I replace the string in quotes with the
full URL of doom from B.H., I hear nothing and speech-dispatcher dumps
core. If I have Orca speak the string, however, I hear the string as
expected. So I don't know if I'm doing something "wrong" trying to
reproduce the problem, or if we're using different versions of
speech-dispatcher and mine doesn't have the bug -- or doesn't have the
bug when using speech-dispatcher's API.

Regardless, for those of you experiencing what we have been assuming is
Orca freezing/hanging, when the problem occurs please try the following:

1. Leave Orca running; do not --replace it or terminate it.
2. In a terminal or run dialog, type 'sudo pkill -9 speech*'
3. Alt+Tab around and see if Orca starts speaking again

If it Orca magically resumes working just as a result of killing
speech-dispatcher, knowing that would be helpful.

In addition, if you happen to capture a full debug.out, before you send
it to me search it for the lines which contain "SPEECH OUTPUT:" and ask
yourself: Did I hear Orca say that? If the answer is "no", please
include in your email the start of the series of things you didn't hear.
If speech-dispatcher is crashing, it would be good to have some idea of
what is making it unhappy.

Thanks for all your help with this!
--joanie