Re: [orca-list] Podcasts and/or audio tutorials needed

Perhaps it's just me, but if I'm going to install something, I want to actually hear what it sounds like. I want to know what the voice sounds like, how to navigate the menus, what the screen reader says, how to restart it, etc. You can't really do that with the written word. Also, I want to feel like the person who is guiding me through these things actually knows what they're talking about. Even the best, most human sounding synthesizer can't do that. It can only read out what's in the written document.

Something else you haven't considered, but I know from experience is a real problem, is what do you do when you've booted the CD on your one and only computer and can't refer back to the documentation? Once you know how to use Firefox in Orca, it's not a problem, but if you don't even know how to use Orca and how to navigate the desktop, how can you read the document? If you have another computer, notetaker, Braille display with a memory, etc you're all set, but most of us (like me) don't. Similarly, what if Linux doesn't have network drivers for your NIC and you can't use Firefox, Lynx or anything else online until you get the problem figured out?