Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

hi
If you really think orca's braille support is that bad, I honestly
can't say one way or the other since I don't own and couldn't afford a
braille display, then fire up your editor and fix it. Complaining
about it won't fix it. That being said, I'm not real familiar with how
windows does it, but I seem to remember nvda using a combination of
brltty like orca does, but combining this with braille display
specific python modules ( a pain in the neck imo) and proprietary IE
vendor specific braille display drivers. By discussions I've seen on
the nvda list when browsing around, jamie and friends can just call up
someone at braille companies and get details on the communication
protocol between the braille display and the computer, something linux
probably couldn't get, companies being fond of secrets and so on. I
don't know if braille input, that is, braille displays with keys works
in orca or not. I've heard that it does and I've heard that it
doesn't. Linux doesn't have these options, and probably wouldn't
accept them if they were offered. I think the solution might be to
improve brltty, which wasn't really designed to act as a general
purpose braille display support program, but to be the equivalent to
speakup, but using braille instead of speech. Others say orca's
braille support needs to be ripped out and replaced, but who's going
to do it. Joanie's so friggin busy it's a wonder she gets as much
accomplished as she does so she doesn't have time.  That wasn't a
complaint, by the way. I'd love to help but my coding skills are
barely adequate. I'm pretty good at filing bugs but turning concept
into code ... not so much. Honestly, at the end of the day, us blind
people have to keep on top of accessibility. This is not windows,
where you can sit back, do nothing, and breathe a contented sigh while
everyone else does all your work for you. This is not meant towards
anyone in particular, just trying to share my point of view. Linux is
great and all, but like anything else it requires involvement from the
people that use it. Going onto a mailing list and saying "apple is
doing better" or "windows does this better" is not going to improve
things.
thanks
Kendell clark

Devin Prater wrote:
My biggest problem with Orca is the braille support. Orca can't
even do word-wrapping, so it cuts off words at the end of lines,
making braille reading a very uncomfortable experience. Even Apple
does braille fairly well. Are y'all gonna let Apple, a proprietary
company with a little accessibility newbies beat you? This is the
kind of stuff I'm talking about, the embarrassing shortcomings of
Linux accessibility.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2015, at 12:24 PM, B. Henry <burt1iband gmail com>