Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

Good evening,

I personally don't think I'd have much of a problem with what you propose if I understand it properly if things like Orca's speech rate, volume and pitch could be changed on the fly and with retention of the Orca + space hotkey. Of course, instead of sending you to the current settings gui, it would send you directly to its counterpart in the control center. I, too, wonder how this would pan out in a world where window managers like Fluxbox, Sawfish or Icewm would be usable by the screenreader consumer community but, perhaps, your api idea addresses this? Honestly though, I don't think we are anywhere near to that state of affairs and it doesn't make sense holding back Orca's innovations and renovations for the sake of something that may not materialize for years if ever. Look at KDE. That thing has been on the verge of becoming accessible for years and years and years. I remember taking it for a spin back in 2012 and reading about all the QT improvements, ETC. ETC. ETC. but it was never truly possible to migrate to it with anything approaching the level of accessibility you get in Gnome, Unity or Mate. Here it is mid 2015 and things haven't really changed all that much. As long as the Orca settings are reasonably usable in the desktops we absolutely have access too, I think we can tackle providing the same functionality to a11y newcomer desktops if and when they start becoming viable options for us.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Regards,
Alex M