[orca-list] an update on the terminal issues

hi all
I'm not sure if I've sent this to the list or not, but I believe I have.
In any case, I've been trying to track down the lagginess of orca when
echoing keystrokes in terminal emulators. I believe I've found the
problem, and it has me stumped. Initially I thought it was a particular
terminal emulator, but having tried with three of them, mate-terminal,
gnome-terminal and terminator, as well as guake, I can confirm taht it's
not. The problem actually seems to be the espeak speech-dispatcher
driver. Either that, or orca's support for same. If I try the exact same
steps on my fiance's computer using ibmtts, while it's not blazing since
her system is quite slow it's much much better than espeak. This is
backed up by debug log entries. In addition, ibmtts eems to perform
better overall. While it's not perfect, things that would cause espeak
to lag aren't as slow when using that module. In particular, the gnome
activities overview isn't as slow, nor is navigating around the file
system. To be clear, the lag is usually only slight, but it is
noticeable. It doesn't make espeak unusable, but you'll notice it,
especially if you type particularly fast. This can be mitigated slightly
by turning up espeak's rate. The faster espeak is set to, the less the
delay. Still, the delay doesn't go away altogether. Can anyone else
confirm this? I don't know how many ibmtts users there are out there,
I'm not one anymore, except for mellisa's fedora install, but can you
try and confirm? Simply navigate around your filesystem, type some text,
etc. Try to keep the ibmtts and the espeak rate as close to the same as
you can and see if you can notice what I'm talking about. I want to get
as much data as I can before filing a bug against either orca or
speech-dispatcher
Thanks
Kendell clark