[orca-list] OT: emacspeak versus speechd-el, which is right for me?

hi all
As the subject says, this is off topic, having little to do with orca
other than a lot of blind users subscribe hear. I'm considering using
either emacspeak or speechd-el. I really want to explore all the
wonderful things emacs is capable of. In particular, I'd like to mud in
it using tux's tintin pack. I want to do this because emacs is likely to
read out the new output automatically, thus bypassing that extremely
annoying and hard to track down terminal bug that orca persistently runs
into. Which would do this better, speechd-el or emacspeak? I'll be
honest. I'ave had very little luck getting emacspeak working. When I
launch it in a gui session, it starts but doesn't speak. When I launch
it in a command line console I get an error that "process speaker" is
not running. During the build process on arch the espeak server is
built, yet no speech is heard. I'm extremely new to emacs so any getting
started tutorials would be nice. If I go with speechd-el, can I get some
of the emacspeak specific addons via melpa? Secifically the bookshare
addon. If not, how can I enable emacs to read daisy books?
Thanks
Kendell clark