Re: [orca-list] gnu-speach?

I don't know about the harshness contributing to  it being intelligible at high speed but, I do know that
code was added to it in order to make it more intelligible at high rates of speed.  The library is called
Sonic.  It was contributed by a man named Bill Cox.  Used to be, you couldn't crank up the speed beyond about
3 or 400 wpm without serious degeneration in quality.  Since Bill's libsonic contribution, I've managed rates
of 700 and even 1000 wpm and still understood what was being said much to my surprise.

The trouble with the natural sounding voices is that they are bigger and slower because they use actual
phonemes uttered by a real human voice.  This is how it was explained to me a long time ago.  There's another
kind of speech synthesizer called a formant synthesizer which is where Espeak and IBM tts as well as older
stuff like Dectalk and Doubletalk are classified as.  These don't use real human speech but rather do their
thing programmatically reducing the file sizes and making the engine more efficient at the cost of a poorer
quality voice.  You can crank format speech synthesizers up much faster usually than natural speech
synthesizers and you don't get that weird little quaver in the voice like someone is shaking the speed out of
them.  I understand this is improving though.  I  heard the vocalizer voices recently and was very impressed
at how well they sounded at high speeds.  More like somebody on about 10 cups of coffee instead of somebody
trying to read while riding in a car on a bumpy road.  I'm sure you can do all kinds of exhaustive research
on the subject but this should give you a pretty rough jist.

Me, I prefer the formant synthesizers for serious work because of their speed but I like the natural ones
when I'm listening to a novel or some other work like maybe poetry.  The preference is probably generational
too, I'll bet.  People who grew up with the more human voices are going to prefer those as are people who
went blind later in life when they were more available.  People like me who remember the really crappy stuff
from back in the 80's and early 90's are going to have preferences pretty similar to mine or, at least, not
mind the formant synths too much.

Alex M