Re: [orca-list] skype replacement

Oh, I almost forgot the easiest solution if what you do not like about skype is the lack of easy text
chatting.
There is an exxcellent cli interface that makes text chat a pleasure with skype, and it can be used to do
most important skype interactions including
making , answering and hanging up calls, sending tones etc. It's run in a terminal, or with the display
exported in a log-intty.
SKCMD is the name. It uses python 2, so make sure to specify that when installing. ONe nice thing about skcmd
is that you can make bash alises to save
on typing, e.g. test makes a test call on my box, and I have similar alises for the numbers I call most. It
can check for , playh and delete voice mail
messages as well, and more. Bitlbee also has a way to interact with skype, but it makes you jump trough more
hoopps to set it up, and there's another
commandline interface called clisk, but although it does have a huge selection of functions/options, some do
not work, and it does not perform as one
would like with some that do work, e.g. you can at most hear a voicemail mesage once.
To get skcmd

```
  git clone http://github.com:/lsmithso/skcmd.git
 Check out the README for how to install and use. I've had mixed results using the python cheese shop method
mentioned in the readme, so am saying use
git clone as mentioned above.
Make sure you have all the dependecies, and although perhaps not required I recommend installing  skype4py
before skcmd. Do not forget to use python2
instead of python with the install commands, i.e.k
git clone https://github.com/awahlig/skype4py
  sudo python2 setup.py install
 will bee all you need to do if you have the correct python stuff and git in the way of satisfying
dependencies.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Pavel Vlček wrote:
Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 11:22:47AM +0200

Hi,
a lot of my friends are using Linux now. Because Skype for Linux is
older and older and we have some compatibility issues, we want to try
some skype replacement. Do you know some accessible application, which
works as Skype, but is accessible and is maintained? We want audio
calls and chat. I tested Mumble, but I think this is for communities.
Thank you,
Pavel