Re: [orca-list] Let's decide about how to deal with ellipses (was Re: bug regarding punctuation?)

I do't think punct level should be ignored for this.
I'll either get used to what ever this is called, or rename it  via the dictionary, but like dot dot dot
myself.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 04:05:22PM -0500

Hey all.

The problem turned out to be Orca treating any series of three periods
in a row as an ellipsis for the purpose of saying "dot dot dot." I've
now adjusted that so that it only treats three to four periods in a row
followed by whitespace or the end of string as an ellipsis. That should
make things saner.

This does once again raise the question of what, if anything Orca should
do about ellipses. Kendell periodically raises it, no one else says
anything, and I have no opinions, so the topic dies. Given what the
source of the bug was <insert eyeroll here>, I now have an opinion. My
opinion is that you must have an opinion. <grins>

1. Given a unicode ellipsis char, should Orca turn it to "dot dot dot"?
   Yes or no.

2. Given a series of periods functioning as an ellipsis, should Orca
   force speak "dot dot dot" ignoring your punctuation level?
   Yes or no.

Me, I don't care much either way. I would, however, like to reach
consensus what the desired behavior is, and either document your wishes
in the code or rip the code out.

Thanks!
--joanie