Re: [orca-list] GSettings backend for Orca available for testing.

No time to build and test today, but I'm very interested in this/thanks so much for your work.
I'll have to give the dconf-cli interface a good luck since you say it's easier to use than gsetting editor
which I've had a little bit of
experience with.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Luke Yelavich wrote:
Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 01:01:06PM +1100

Hi folks.
I am happy to announce that the GSettings backend for Orca, which has been
under development for a little while now is ready for wider testing. I've
tested it in as many scenarios as I can think of, but I am sure there is
some edge case that someone out there uses that I haven't thought of,
which may work fine with Orca as it currently is, and may break using
GSettings as a settings backend.

The code is currently based on Orca 3.18.2. I will rebase the code on master
once settings changes have settled down. In particular I am waiting for
the progress bar improvements to be committed before I add support for
all the new settings to theGSettings backend.

I still need to do some optimizing on the code, mostly to do with
deduplication, and I think there are a couple of places where the number of
GSettings calls can be reduced. Some parts also need better commenting. I
have written this backend to be completely compatible with how Orca stores
settings internally, and the json settings backend.

Some more things to note:
* There is no migration to allow the importing of your older json-based
settings into GSettings.
* You have to edit src/orca/settings_manager.py to switch the backend back
to the json backend, if you wish to use your saved settings.
* The GSettings schema may change between now and when the code is committed
to Orca master, so keep in mind that whatever settings you have stored
may not be used when the code finally gets into Orca proper.

Resetting back to Orca's defaults with GSettings is possible, but varies
depending on the GSettings backend being used. The most common GSettings
backend, and likely the one your distro uses by default is dconf. To reset
your settings, you will need the dconf command-line utility installed on
your system. On Debian-based systems, the package containing this utility
is dconf-cli. To reset your settings, run this command in a terminal:
$ dconf reset -f /org/gnome/orca/

Be careful with the above command, as entering the incorrect schema path
could reset other desktop settings back to their defaults, so you might
want to copy and paste to be safe. You can also view the settings you have
set for Orca, and indeed for any GSettings/dconf based application with
the following command:
$ dconf dump /org/gnome/orca/ -- for Orca
$ dconf dump / -- for everything

Those who are familiar with GSettings may also be aware that the gsettings
command-line utility can also be used to reset settings, although that
is a little more complex, and is why I have explained the dconf method,
given that dconf is the most likely backend being used with GSettings.

Before you consider testing, please please please please please, make sure
you have a way to get back to a known good and working Orca configuration.

You can clone the git repository for this code from
git://git.themuso.com/orca.git
There is only one branch in that repository, called gsettings. It should
be checked out for you once you have cloned it.

I will not be providing any packages for any distro. If you want to test
this code, you have to build Orca from source.

If you think you found a problem, please do the following:
1. Make sure you are able to reproduce the problem consistantly. I would
also suggest making sure you can reproduce the problem consistantly from
a default state, i.e no Orca settings are present in gsettings/dconf.
2. Reproduce the problem while getting a debug log from Orca, as well as
a log of stdin/stdout/stderr. The easiest way to do this is to load Orca
in a terminal as follows:
$ orca --debug > terminal.log 2>&1
Orca will also create a debug log file in the same directory where you
launched Orca, and it will have a date and time in the filename. Attach
these files to an email sent to me privately, with a clear list of steps
in the body of the email explaining how to reproduce the problem.

Of course success reports are welcome, as any other odd behavior. Feel
free to discuss on list, but as above, please only send reports with debug
files to me privately, as to not clog up the list traffic.

Thanks, and enjoy.

Luke