Re: [orca-list] Breaking up Key Echo types. Where does space go?

Hi Joanie,
wonderful news.
This will be really good.
I agree with space being an action.
Will it still be echo'd with characters as well?

Thanks
Rob

On 10/11/15 13:27, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

"alphanumeric and punctuation" echo into three types:

* Alphabetical
* Numeric
* Punctuation

Right now, space is being echoed as part of alphanumeric and punctuation
even though technically a space is neither alphanumeric nor punctuation.
The rationale for space being included there was that alphanumeric and
punctuation were printable characters and space is also printable. With
this new division into three classes, I'm having a harder time
justifying inclusion of space in any of the above. So where do you think
it belongs?

I myself am leaning towards "action," which may also be a stretch.
However, Tab and Return are echoed as part of action because they are
action keys in the context of GUI widgets. And in a GUI, Space does
activate certain widgets. Plus, when Tab and Return are used in
multiline editable widgets, they insert whitespace, just like the space
key does. So... Space is an action key, right? <grins>

Silliness aside, please tell me where you want space to go with respect
to this new division of key echo types.

Thanks!
--joanie