Re: [orca-list] OT: What have I done?

Kendell,

I understand and share your discouragement concerning the open source community, but, for what it's worth, you're one of the main reasons why I'm giving Linux another chance.

I am nobody in the field of computers. I'm a simple user, and have no knowledge of programming or codes or anything. All I know is that if something works, I can use it. If it doesn't, I have to move on to someting else...

What you state in your email is the reason why I'm sticking with Windows, in spite of all. I too am passionate about open source. I use open source software whenever and wherever I can, but I feel so frustrated and sad when I see the lack of interest in accessibility on the part of so many.

When I first approached open source, given its "inclusive" philosophy, I thought I would find great openness on the part of devs concerning accessibility... And was greatly disappointed.

And then users. When I asked for help, I got links to documentation that was hundreds if not thousands of pages long, of which I'd probably only need one line... Which I couldn't single out...

This happened in both the sighted and visually impaired communities, until I subscribed to the Vinux mailing list, where I found a totally different, warmer, and helpful environment.

The same is now true of this list, not to talk about the Sonar group, which is small, but very helpful...

So, Kendell, please don't quit. Be discouraged, if you need to. Write to me if you feel like letting somethings out of your system, and you don't want to alienate others in the community. But please, please, please, don't quit!

I've just installed the latest Sonar and Vinux on my machine, and I'm so happy with both.

You people are doing great things, with all the difficulties that are involved.

I don't often post to mailing lists, but I read, and appreciate, and care.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it would be good to let Kendell know publicly that someone really appreciates his commitment, just as he shared his frustration publicly.

Ciao,
Ollie