Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

According to Jason White:
# A further possibility, not yet supported, is Mary TTS, which is under
active
# development and also happens to be free, open-source software.

The main problem I've found with MaryTTS is the fact that it seems to
run quite slowly on older systems. However, rather than being related to
the need to run Java fulltime, I believe it has more to do with the fact
that I tried to make a generic interface that connects to a local or
remote server and play the resulting .wav data, which certainly added to
the complexity of using it. I really do hope that speech-dispatcher gets
direct support for this fine synthesizer very soon. As a sidebar,
please, someone, give us Alan W. Black in MaryTTS! It sounds awesome
though a bit warbly in Festival and Flite, but MaryTTS seems to fix many
of those problems quite nicely.
Sent from my mine shaft
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/