[orca-list] which Debian Distro

Hi,
It seems that there are a few differences in opinion on this, but I just
installed Ubuntu 14 X ( the latest and greatest) on someone's computer, and
I was disappointed in that there is no start-up sounds, I hope it is not
difficult to set them to be on.
I have gone into settings and sounds, but there is no regular type of sound
scheme to install that I could find.
Also, Orca does not start automatically, is there an easy fix for that?
Unity is not too bad, as he can type in what he wants and find it.
I wish there was a way to put shortcuts onto the desktop, it is otherwise a
waste of real estate.
But I thought I might either uninstall it, or install another distro, if
there is a better one for these things.
And, if I just install another, will it become the first item in GRUB, and
will the old one be the next?
Or, will I be given the option to remove the previous Ubuntu, and install
the new, even though he still has Windows on /dev/sda1?
Thanks.

Glenn