[orca-list] orca very sluggish

I have 8 gig of RAM on my Toshiba laptop which had Windows 8 until I got rid of it yet when I am downloading email using thunderbird or podcasts with Gpodder, I get this annoying problem where speech will stop and it has to catch up with key presses I have done. For example I could be writing a message and the speech wil stop and if I hit keys to get speech to responde, they register a long time later.
How do I resolve this issue?