Re: [orca-list] the low cost canute braille display\

I had to learn various braille codes in my adventures in linguistics back when. I am a native Spanish speaker and never learned grade two Spanish braille. I did learn, of all things, German grade two. I haven't seen French grade two but know the grade 1. Same for Italian Portuguese and, oddly enough, Hebrew. I am fortunate enough to have a refreshable braille device that I use at the job but would love one for home use that I purchased with my own money and not one I got from the state. I think it's hugely important for us to be able to afford as many adaptive devices as we can with an average salary for a developed country. The sad thing is that, the super high prices stuff doesn't use any majorly expensive components or top-of-the-line tech in all cases. It's just put to a very specialized use in a very specialized manner. Couple that with patents and a limited pool of people who know how to work on them and you have the situation we are in. So, again, eBook reader or not, I welcome this device and feel like scrounging up the cash to buy it just to support the effort. If it's Open Source and runs off a Raspberry Pie engine, I see great potential in its future if it's taken up by enough of the right kind of people.

Alex M