Re: [orca-list] the low cost canute braille display

and remember the canute does run linux as its OS it runs raspbian linux.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 7/3/2015 6:48 PM, B. Henry wrote:
Good points/usage cases. Also the comprehention of data organization and formatting is different when one has
a physical display as opposed to having to
imagine relative position of words and symbols. For math this difference can be night and day. Looking at
computer code being able to touch indention
would save time and make for a much smoother mental work flow I think.
It certainly seems like a no brainer to combine general purpose braille computer display functionality with
any stand alone braille e-book reader, and
having stand alone e-book reading capability is actually pretty cool also for some of the situations you
bring up. That being said, being connected to a
device with a visual display would have been nice when I read outloud to my daughter so that she could have
followed along looking at pictures and later
print words.
We used as many print braille books as we could find, mostly kids books from the National Braille Press. My
main complaint was that there were not more
titles available...lol, but also it would have been nice to have more Spanish language content. A braille
e-book reading device would probably have
helped with both issues.
Of course none of this is a adequit substitution for hard copy braille or print braille when it comes to
those bedtime reading sessions, camping trips,
etc., but compared with nothing...
I have seen how blind young people  struggle here with their more advanced math courses in highschool and
college. It takes long enough for most non
math wizz students to do their homework and prepare for exams, but when you add the time required to punch
out hardcopy braille versions of much of
a tesxtbook with
a slate and stylus there's not much time left for sleep, much less work or a social life.
Braille literacy is very important for a few different reasons, and I'm very much in favour of anything that
helps bring braille, both paper and
electronic, in to the lives of more people.