Re: [orca-list] some minor issues with orca in gnome 3.14

This may be an F123 specific issue, but using gnome 3.14 I get no indication if a keyboard shortcut is
enabled, they always say disabled.
When editing I do hear the shortcut announced, but by name only when I enter the new combination. In most
cases keybindings are not announced at all in
the custom section, but some are read when exploring other tabs.
I won't ask about any other issues here until I find out more about how much of F123 is non standard re gnome
configuration.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:57:52PM -0600

hi
Just a bit of a follow up. There are some unlabeled controlls in the
boxes application. Before you start up a virtual machine, the menu and
the toolbar are accessible. Once a vm is launched, those buttons are
no longer labeled, causing orca to say simply bush button. This seems
to be partially fixed in the current git version, but then there's a
bug where pressing enter on the utton doesn't launch the menu, dialog,
etc. Only space wll do that. In the sound applet, the sliders for the
individual applications are silent with orca the first time you tab
over them. You need to shift tab a few times before orca will pick
them up. It's very hit and miss. There's also an unlabeled controll
next to all of the audio outputs and inputs, as well as in the sound
alerts tab. I think this is the mute button, but it's only a guess.
Should I file bugs against orca for this? I don't think this is
actually an orca issue but rather bad a11y coding on gnome's part.
They're minor bugs all of them, and I really like gnome so far. I just
wish you could add a sound theme without using dconf editor ... oh well
Thanks
Kendell clark

kendell clark wrote:
hi all I've just decided to give gnome 3.14 another chance, after
largely abandoning it for mate. I still use mate, but thought I'd
install gnome on this desktop to see how it works. It's fantastic.
There are just a few issues that I thought I'd bring to the orca
devs attention. On my system, every time I hit the windows key, or
as far as I can tell any of my multimedia keys, play, next, home
page, etc. Orca says "window" every time the windows key is
pressed, even if it's being held down for another shortcut. Of
course, if I release it it's going to launch the dash. If I press
any of my multimedia keys, orca says "desktop frame,   icon view
layored pane" before performing whatever is set to this key. This
is *not* a complaint, just a bit of aheads up. There are some
unlabeled buttons in the display settings boxes, between the
display gnome detects, and the resolution combo box. I can't seem
to use flat review to see what they are, because flat review cannot
detect a label. In the message tray, orca seems to get kicked back
to the desktop, when trying to right click an applet. This doesn't
happen with my software updater, but does with pidgin and manjaro
settings manager. I'd guess this happens because there isn't any
menu for orca to read, but pidgin is supposed to present a menu for
opening the buddy list, quit, etc.  Ok, I've solved the problem of
orca saying "window" every time I pressed the windows key. It was
caused by an extention called mod panel, which is supposed to let
you change the items taht show up on gnome's panel. There are lots
of instances of needing to tab twice to get past buttons in some of
gnome's settings. Good examples are gnome tweak tool and the time
and date settings. Orca says for example, "internet connection
required" twice. There could be two buttons labeled the same thing,
so not sure. In gnome tweak tool, there are two unlabeled buttons
next to extensions, and you have to click on the second one to
toggle the extension, I'm not sure what the first one does. Other
than that, gnome is fantastic. I think I'll keep it on this
machine, and use mate on my laptop, since gnome doesn't like it
very much. By the way, all the issues in mate that I've mentioned
on here, qt apps not speaking on the panel, etc are not a problem
in gnome, so it must be mate specific. Thanks Kendell clark