[orca-list] laptop caps_lock key not acting as orca key

Greetings!

I was trying to use a laptop yesterday, one I may borrow from an organization. It has Sonar. It also uses the laptop keyboard, so has no number pad. My

understanding that on such laptops the caps_lock key serves as the orca key, which a Google search yesterday seemed to confirm. The caps_lock key on the laptop I was playing with yesterday just acts like a caps_lock key. I'm told that the machine is a Dell (spelling a guess) that's about six years old. Because it has one of those "function keys" on the bottom row, I tried using that with the caps_lock and the spacebar to get orca preferences. This didn't work. I even tgried

orca --settings

from the terminal, but I was getting no useful information about what was happening and, because of the caps_lock problem, could not use the flat review keys to learn anything.

The guy who installed Sonar on the laptop said he's only gotten his feet wet with Linux.

Is there a way that I can fix this problem without reinstalling Sonar? I was told I can do that if need be: I may be the only visitor to that office who gives a hoot about Linux. Am I just doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice or pointers to information.

Al