[orca-list] a question about Braille

Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to test Braille in openSUSE. At first, brltty wouldn't start because the systemd unit file was looking for brltty in the wrong place. I'm trying to get that fixed. Once I made a fixed package that had a good systemd unit file, I could start brltty, and it worked fine from the console--all I had to do was connect my Brailliant 40 to the USB port, and it seemed to automagically detect it. Then I tried to see if orca would communicate with brltty. At first at didn't--I figured out that it needed access to /etc/brlapi.key, and I needed to add my user to the brlapi group. After that, it still didn't work, only because I'd rigged my system to have more than six virtual consoles and something seems to assume that X is on console 7. Once I fixed all of that, it started to work.

Anyway, I needed to manually configure my system to start brltty, then manually add myself to the brlapi group, so I was curious whether those were things that people normally need to do if they want Braille / if other distributions somehow do something that makes it easier to enable.

Thanks,
-Mike