Re: [orca-list] OT, espeak has been forked

Hello,

I would say let's people pick what they like. I still hope Jonathan Duddinkton will be able to merge some of the fixes to the original eSpeak at a later time. I am sure there is significant number of improvements already. e.g. there are loads of coverity and memory management related fixes, language data updates i.e. pronounciation dictionaries phonemes and more for american english, italian, french and perhaps even more, the additional language data for russian, cantonese and mandarin are bundled with eSpeak by default now, there are also build system related tweaks and cosmetic fixes. Big feature that's being implemented is better SSML support which will recognize many more SSML tags and compilation of language data as you have already pointed out. For the people happy to live on the bleeding edge like you and me and perhaps a few others this is great deal of changes. It is however nice to point out that not all of these changes are brand new. Auto tools support has been already introduced years ago and it has not been accepted into so called upstream eSpeak released by Jonathan Duddington.

I think we need to wait until eSpeak NG evolves a bit more.

Still I would say if you like eSpeak and you can build it then test it out and submit your tweaks, bug reports whatever you have to say.

Greetings

Peter