Re: [orca-list] handy linux accessibility question

You need to enable accessiblity a couple of ways.
The panel where you have applets for weather, sound control and other such things will not ever talk to you,
and you will need another filemanager, e.g.
pcmanfm as thunar is not completely accessible either.
The main menu is very nice, and it is pretty light and reliable for all that it does in my experience.
Will you be using an xinitrc file and startx to start your gui, or a display manager?
I'll give you a bit of over kill here that should cover most bases. You will probably have to manually start
orca the first time and then enable it in
start up applications. The best part of xfce is its configurability.
anyway I'll past in a few notes here.
Make a file in /etc/profile.d/ with a .sh extension. I called mine gtk-access.sh.
it should contain the followingg.
##Should get gtk right for accessability for mate and xfce
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge

Put the same line above the exec startxfce4 line in your ~/.xinitrc file as well.
There's another line that I have used as well, butr it seems to make no difference at this time.
Make sure you hae a qt accessiblity file in /etc/profile.d as well
If not, write back and I'll tell you what to do,l but I think it should just auto install everywhere when you
get qt-at-spi package installed.
Run the below in a terminal emulater once you start xfce, or with dbus-launch
e.g.
dbus-launch gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications screen-reader-enabled true
in a console.
I can't remember if you need to run another gsettings command or not for best accessibility, it has been a
while since I ran xfce.
It would be my favorite desktop if they'd finish fixing accessiblity, but no work has been done in well over
a year to improve anything, and I do not
think any is planned.
It is a bit more resource thrifty than mate on most machines, but the difference might not be that great on
your hardware, and mate won't make you jump
through so many hoops to get it talking.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Pavel Vlček wrote:
Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 03:41:16PM +0200

Hi all,
because I have access to French voice only, I can't test this distro,
so can someone write more about accessibility of this distro? I know
about Orca integration and about Xfce, which is good for older
computers, but I never tested Xfce desktop and I don't know any
accessible Xfce distro or distro with Xfce and accessibility
information.
Thank you,
Pavel V
---