Re: [orca-list] Accessible games in Linux

Howdy,
I never had much luck with GMA Games stuff either. However about 95% of audio games do work in wine.
HTH
Storm
On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 08:58:57AM -0400, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Vojta,

There are quite a number of accessible games you can play under Linux
if you know where to look, and aren't looking for a specific type of
game.

For example, a lot of interactive fiction games, IF for short, can be
played using Speakup with a console interpreter like frotz, scare,
etc. There are literally hundreds perhaps thousands of interactive
fiction type games that are fairly accessible and might be a good
place to start.

There is the RS Games client which is also accessible. If you download
the Linux client and sign up for a RS Games account you can play a
number of card and puzzle games online.

There are muds that can be played with the stock telnet client. I have
played Alter Aeon and similar muds from the Linux console using
Speakup and the standard telnet client so that is another option you
might want to consider.

As for playing accessible Windows games under Wine it can be done, but
is often times a pain in the neck. For one thing I have gotten some
games  to work in Wine but only to find they crash often as not.
Shades of Doom is a primary example. I can get through most of area 1,
press enter to open a door or something, and the game crashes on me.
Same problem with Tank Commander. So while it is feasible to play
games using Wine it isn't always reliable.

Cheers!