Re: [orca-list] how much has changed in gnome?

Hi.

I'll try to be brief and still cover all your questions.  Gnome's interface is totally different if you
haven't used it in the last 3 or 4 years.  When you launch it, it takes you to a blank screen from the point
of view of a blind person.  Sighted people see their wall paper, I think.  At home, mine is a picture of the
Earth as seen from space.  Anyway, here's a brief synopsis of how everything works:

To get the list of installed applications now, you have to hit the super key once and then control alt tab
twice to the applications list.  You have a few regions which seem to have taken the place of panels now and
are navigable with control alt tab if you don't have any vision.  If you have some vision and use a mouse,
you just put your mouse pointer at different corners of the screen to reveal them:

+  Activities:  The top menubar with calendar,, accessibility options and a menu with your name on it which
is used for logging off, shutting down and modifying settings.
+  Messages:  Notification area which, is usually near the bottom of the screen.
+  Windows:  list of open windows.
+  Dash:  List of favorited applications
+  Applications list:  Just what it says.  It's just not organized like the old applications menu.  You can
install an applications menu in the traditional sense using the Gnome tweak tool to get the extension you
need.
+  Overview:  It's like a search panel.  You can type the first couple of letters of what you want and it
will find the application for you quickly.  It's what I use the most and what comes up immediately when I hit
the super key.

At any time, you can control alt tab and see the activities, messages and window list areas.  Dash, and
applications can only be gotten to if you hit super first.

To find your file explorer just hit the super key and type files and press enter.  Nautilus should come up
then.  I recommend you install the Gnome tweak tool so you can customize the look and feel more to your
liking.  You can turn on a "desktop view" which lets you go to different areas of your box like your home
directory, any installed devices, ETC.  No application shortcuts though.  That's what the dash is for.  You
really don't even need application shortcuts because if you can remember the first few letters of it, just
hit the super key and type them in.  You ca then use the arrow keys to find the one you want and press enter.
 Where before you might have had to scroll through a list of several, you now only have to pick from two or
three with this method.

Good luck.  BTW, do you still code in c++?  I remember you from the blind programmers list.

Alex M