Re: [orca-list] State of linux accessibility

hi
I'll second that. It's part of the reason I've begun trying to spread
the word about accessible fos. It started when I joined fedora back
in      ... I think it was march. Since then I've been trying to set up
some time where I can attend a linux conference, preferably one where
joanmeri and some of the accessibility devs go, but any conference
with an interested audience is fine with me, so I can speak about
accessibility. I'm not sure if anyone does this, but demonstrating is
the best form of convincing, and if I can manage to attend one I'll
bring a long a couple of linux usb drives to demonstrate just how plug
and play accessibility is. Some of you have no doubt seen some of my
rants. I don't rant to be difficult, I rant because I'm passionate
about linux and free and open source software. That's probably not
evident when I'm yelling at you that windows sucks, but shrug. It's
why I do it. I'm going to put my money where my mouth is when I have
any spair money, which is rare. I use orca every day and without the
hard work of joanie and all the other translators linux wouldn't be
usable for me. Thanks all of you for your hard work.

Thanks
Kendell clark

B. Henry wrote:
Yes, yu have done great work, and I think one of the ways that will
get more blind folks interested in Linux is to just casually
mention somenice program that is easy and or fun to use and then
let them ask about it, e.g., xboard. Trying to argues someone in to
using something is more likely to make them more stubborn in
resisting it. You can seldom convince illogical people with
logic,justlook at politics in your favorite country, well at least
the two I've lived in a show this to be true. Making people curious
about and/or envious of something yu have will bring them around,
or as they say: "You catch more flies with honey than with
vinegar.". Of course some people are not selfish, and do get the
value of FOS for its own sake, but most will need to be convinced
by how well things work. I wa not going to post in this
conversation, but somethiing made me read your post and inspired me
to say thanks again. Part of it is seeing just how well some things
work, and how quickly they can get done with out buracratic
overhead. Sometimes I see folks focusing 90% of their attention on
what is broken and what is not getting done rather than on what is
going well or improving. If someone does not have the knowledge to
code, they can learn to file bugs, or if someone is not a tch wiz
they can try and write documentation that folks who are also less
than super-geeks will understand. The bottom line is we do not need
everyone to contribute to make Linux and  especially accessible
Linux greater than it is, we only need YOU, the person reading
this!