Re: [orca-list] The State Of Linux Accessibility

hi
If this is true, and I believe I've tried both of these products at
one time or another, then this needs to be fixed. Add two more
programs to my ever growing list. I need some help here, people. I
can't manage everything.

Alex Midence wrote:
Audio production is something of a tender spot for me.  I did some
pretty extensive digging a few years ago on the subject and my
findings were frankly disappointing.

Fact:  Historically, one of the vocations at which blind people
have exceled has been music.  Some noteworthy blind musicians the
reader may be acquainted with include Homer, Ah Bing, Francesco Da
Milano, Joaquin Rodrigo, Andrea Bocelli, Ray Charles, Stevie
wonder, Jeff Healey, José Feliciano and, last but certainly not by
a million miles least Monsieur Louis Braille.

Now then, the question was posed by a blind musician from the
eastern U.S. seaboard if there were anything accessible and
comparable to Sound Forge and Audition in Windows on the Linux
platform.  These are professional quality pieces of music software.
I found two of them which most closely matched up in features and
capabilities.  These were Ardour built on GTK and Rosegarden built
on QT.  Be it know that these far outstrip something like Jokosh
and Audacity in what they can do as they target professional
musicians as opposed to people dabbling in the odd sound editing
project or two.  Neither one of these pieces of software were
accessible.  Neither was Lilipond or fluidsynth.  So, at this time,
there is no accessible way for the average blind musical
professional to work with any score editing, mixing or sound studio
type software in so far as I know.  It's a real bummer.  I would
*Love* to be proven wrong on this one so, please be my guest.

Alex M

-----Original Message----- From: kendell clark
[mailto:coffeekingms gmail com] Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015
4:58 PM To: Alex Midence; 'Vincenzo Rubano'; 'Keith Hinton' Cc:
'orca-list' Subject: Re: [orca-list] The State Of Linux
Accessibility

hi Impress is an absolutely valid point. I don't know why orca
works with it so poorly, but if I had to guess, I'd say a
combination of poor libreoffice accessibility support and no orca
specific code for it. If no one has filed a bug against impress,
I'll go ahead and do that now. As for being able to do things on
linux you could do on windows, this is valid, up to a point. The
people that usually make statements like this, or at least the
people I deal with who do,  often mean, "I want to do the same
thing on linux that I did on windows, using the same programs and
doing it the exact same way I used to do it on windows". Which
means, for example, when you tell them that there's no mush z in
linux but that there's tintin and a sound pack for alter aeon,
"that's too hard. I want a gui installer that does all of this for
me because that's how windows does it. If I can't have that then
linux sucks and I won't use it." Pdf files is another area where
linux needs improving. This is supposed to improve greatly in gnome
3.18, but I haven't tested it yet. Then again, the only accessible
pdf reader on windows is adobe's own, so while it might work better
there, you are limited in what programs you can use. None of the
open source or alternative pdf readers in windows as far as I know
work with any screen readers. I'd argue that linux is accessible
enough for beginner, intermediate, and advanced work, depending of
course on the kind of work you do. Audio production is one area
where blind people cling to windows. There are people on this list
who know a lot more about this than I do but if windows wins out in
this area then we need to buck up and fix it. For what little audio
work I do, download from youtube, converting and editing files and
audio metadata, linux works absolutely fine and there are gui
options for all. As for the crackling, this is a well known issue.
I understand it has something to do with speech-dispatcher's use of
the pulse audio api. Luke and jeremy ... something, can't remember
his last name, are actively working to fix this, which should be
available in either a new speech-dispatcher 0.8 release or a 0.9
release, I'm not sure yet. But it's definitely known and being
worked on. I'd say this in closing. No matter which platform you
use, linux, windows, ios, android, osx, there are going to be areas
where accessibility is great and those dark corners where it could
be better. It's just the nature of accessibility. Linux wins out in
my opinion mostly due to it's open source model, it's lack of
activation and it's ease of maintenance. I can throw a distro on a
usb drive and boot it on any computer and have a live working
environment. I can either use that as is or install it. I
understand osx can do something similar, I've never used it. I say
linux wins out because it's not limited to a particular brand of
computer by license agreements. My two scents. Thanks Kendell
clark

Alex Midence wrote:
I don't know.  I think comparing how well something can be
accessibly accomplished in Linux to how well that same task can
be done in Windows is a valid exercise as long as you don't make
sweeping statements like "The overall accessibility experience in
Linux sucks compared to Windows."  If you are used to being able
to do X on one platform, it is natural to feel you should be able
to do it on another just as accessibly and with as little extra
effort on your part as you had to expend on the other platform.

With Linux, my main gripe is presentations.  I rely on them every
day at work since I'm a trainer and they are something of a
lifeblood for me.  In Windows, we use PowerPoint which Window
Eyes, in particular, works extremely well with.  Jaws does OK but
Window Eyes is absolutely outstanding with it.  I can't say the
same with Orca and Impress.  If I got hired somewhere and their
company policy was to have all their class presentations in
Impress format, I'd be in deep trouble.  I'd have to argue for
letting me use Beamer which is a part of LaTEx.  I'd still be in
hot water because the output is to PDF's which Evince handles
only rudimentarily in regular documents and very poorly in pdf
slides.  I'd have to see about having them let me make a very
basic Windows vm so I can use Adobe while that all gets sorted
out.  I understand there's a way to do this sort of thing with
html and javascript but I don't know it yet.  So, it would be
natural for someone like me to wish that presentations were as
easy to do accessibly in Linux as they are in windows where you
don't  have to learn a complex markup language to get the job
done.

Just an example. Alex M

-----Original Message----- From: orca-list