Re: [orca-list] The State Of Linux Accessibility

I don't know.  I think comparing how well something can be accessibly accomplished in Linux to how well that
same task can be done in Windows is a valid exercise as long as you don't make sweeping statements like "The
overall accessibility experience in Linux sucks compared to Windows."  If you are used to being able to do X
on one platform, it is natural to feel you should be able to do it on another just as accessibly and with as
little extra effort on your part as you had to expend on the other platform.

With Linux, my main gripe is presentations.  I rely on them every day at work since I'm a trainer and they
are something of a lifeblood for me.  In Windows, we use PowerPoint which Window Eyes, in particular, works
extremely well with.  Jaws does OK but Window Eyes is absolutely outstanding with it.  I can't say the same
with Orca and Impress.  If I got hired somewhere and their company policy was to have all their class
presentations in Impress format, I'd be in deep trouble.  I'd have to argue for letting me use Beamer which
is a part of LaTEx.  I'd still be in hot water because the output is to PDF's which Evince handles only
rudimentarily in regular documents and very poorly in pdf slides.  I'd have to see about having them let me
make a very basic Windows vm so I can use Adobe while that all gets sorted out.  I understand there's a way
to do this sort of thing with html and javascript but I don't know it yet.  So, it would be natural for
someone like me to wish that presentations were as easy to do accessibly in Linux as they are in windows
where you don't  have to learn a complex markup language to get the job done.

Just an example.
Alex M