Re: [orca-list] The State Of Linux Accessibility

Good points, Vincenzo.  However, for most basic use cases i.e. intermediate word processing, standard e-mail
uses, browsing the web and listening to music, Linux works fine.  Obviously, it is not as accessible as
Windows or something like IOS but it is quite comparable.  I'll not deny that it has its flaws in the ways
bugs related to it get fixed but, overall, I would never say that accessibility on the Linux platform is
regressing or dying out.

Keep in mind that I don't have multiple complex e-mail boxes  with complicated folder structures on my Linux
box. For that, I do use Windows as Outlook does a good enough job for it and that's the sort of thing I have
to worry about at work not at home.  As for complex formatting on documents, I'm not too worried about word
processing in Libreoffice not supporting some of that because of the prevalence of LaTEx which offers
extremely complex formatting features using highly accessible text editors which can output stuff that is far
superior in appearance to anything most blind people can manage in a word processor such as kerning and
ligatures, justification and widow spacing.  The same goes for complex tables, captions, boxes and other
desktop publishing-type features.  But, for basic word processing such as memos, letters, job aids, how-to's,
class homework  and the like, Libreoffice is quite decently accessible.  Not sure what issues you were having
with Calc but, there are those on this list that rely heavily on it for their work on a daily basis who find
it quite usable.  I do have to agree with you on Impress being very poorly supported since PowerPoint in the
Windows world does have far superior accessibility.  You can work with it to a point though.  I speak from
personal experience as, back in 2010, what brought me to Linux is that I needs something to read PowerPoints
produced by a college professor but didn't want to cough up money for Microsoft office on my home pc.  Enter
Linux via Vinux 3.0 (an amazing distro at the time), and I was able to do my work.  I can't address Math and
Base because I don't use them.

I've had audio troubles in the past but that had more to do with how I had Pulse audio configured than
anything related to Orca or speech dispatcher.  I'll grant you that it gets temperamental when you deviate
from using e-speak but, that doesn't bother me because I am fine with using e-speak.  The minor issue I have
had is a crackle which I hear in x with Orca when I come back from the console using Speakup.  I usually
resolve it by opening a terminal and doing an spd-conf and taking it to where I can kill all sessions of and
restart speech dispatcher.  Then, I do an alt f2 and perform an orca --replace which makes all well.  I
haven't had to resort to my braille display or my sighted wife for much of anything with Linux in a long
time.

Again, I won't say all of us can't come up with gripes here and there with stuff we'd like Linux to do better
accessibility-wise but I'm quite certain most will agree that Linux is a very viable accessible solution for
someone and can be used to be productive in a work environment.  I also think most around here will agree
that the trend is progressive and not regressive on accessibility.

Alex M