Re: [orca-list] The State Of Linux Accessibility

Keith,

From my perspective (I have been running various distros under vmware), I think orca is fairly stable.
Granted I don't do a lot of fancy stuff with it because I am a command-line snob, but when I have used it it
has worked well.

The java accessibility has fallen behind that of windows, I think, but I have also been assured that the java
atk wrapper is being actively updated and once the distros pick up the latest builds it should be a lot
better.
-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hinton [mailto:keithint1234 gmail com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 11:30 PM
To: orca-list
Subject: [orca-list] The State Of Linux Accessibility

Hi folks,
it has been a very long while since I have posted to the Orca mailing list.
In fact, more than a year.
I was writing in to find out from people who know what they are talking about what the current state of Linux
accessibility is with Orca, etc.
I was wondering how the major Linux distributions like Fedora, Open Sues, etc are doing with Orca, Speech
Dispatcher, and generally over all how is Linux these days?
I have avoided Linux for a long while because I have a friend who believes  actually, who is utterly
convinced that linux accessibility is going backwards.
But I don't honestly know for sure if that is so.
So, I naturally question him and would like to know from those of you out their who are involved in Linux
accessibility generally how do you think Linux is?
WouldI be able to run something under Gnome these days like Virtual Box?
How does Linux perform with the latest and greatest CPUs, multi core SMP hardware and such from your
experiences>?
My friend says to me that most of you are using old clunky outdated hardware which is why you don't get
Speech Dispatcher or Orca subsystem crashes, etc.
But I haven't used Linux in so long that I figure the time is now to actually just come out and ask and see
what responses I get.
Obviously, I know that everybody will have their own distribution prefferences.
But I'm not here to start a war on Ubuntu, vs Fadora, etc.
I am trying aside from an OS specific fight to figure out what the current honest state of Linux
accessibility is.
Is it actually falling back and going backwards and thus dying out?
I don't know.
Is it worth grabbing something like the latest oh, I don't know, Open Suse, Fadora or similar and giving Orca
a spin?

So I was hopeing some of you out their might have a better idea.
Thanks!

All the best,
Keith