Re: [orca-list] Mutt questions?

You need to install and configure urlview, and then best to have a mailcap file.
I'm in a hurry, so rather than look at your file right now I'll just paste in the most important bits. I'll
send you my mailcap file attached to this
msg.
I can't remember for sure where mutt looks for a mailcap file by default, right now, but it's not going to
hurt to source one. Actually just doing that
and using the couple of bindings I define here will fix the things you ask about as long as you have urlview.
Where it is best to edit urlview
configuration varies between distrosassuming you use their default installation I think. I don't think you
will have trouble with that, but ask if you
want to see what I've done on arch. I should have an example for Vinux/Ubuntu as well.
To be clear, you will read html with review keys, control b will open a list of links with urlview, and if
you want to see your links in context use v
to open attachment list and press enter on the html file you want to read. Look in the attached mailcap and
note that there is one entry to dump html in
to the pager used to read messages when you press enter on them from the index and another entry that says
what to do with html attachments. Everything
received can be though of and viewed as an attachment in mutt to be clear about it.
The firefox entrie do not work well in most cases even when display is exported when mutt is run from a
console, but should open firefox for you if you
run mutt from a gnome, mate or other terminal-emulator in your x session. I never do that though, well almost
never have.
The mailcap file is a work in progresss, but as is works nicely not only for mutt, but with elinks to stream
audio and video, etc.

OK, the syntax is not source for my mailcap file, but a source line may work as well.
set mailcap_path        = ~/.mutt/mailcap
auto_view text/html
#set implicit_autoview = yes
## Uncomment below to read plain text instead of dumped html.
#alternative_order text/plain text/html *
set folder_format = "%2C %f %8s %t %F %-8.8u %N %d"
## Scrolls one line at a time, i.e. smoothly scrolls, instead of only moving up or down by whole pages,
screen-fulls if you will
set menu_scroll = yes
#
## Some useful extra key bindings

bind attach <return>    view-mailcap
bind editor <Tab> complete        # default Mutt setting
 bind editor ^T complete-query
 unset query_command               # default Mutt setting
bind editor <space> noop

I have a few other goodies in my muttrc if you do not already have a copy of it, let me know and I'll pass
along.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Dave Hunt wrote:
Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 04:37:20PM -0400

I have two questions re:  the setup of mutt email client:

1) how do I get mutt to launch a browser and pass the selected link from
a message?
2) How do I make tab completion and the alias menu work?

Attached is a sample ~/.muttrc, with the only difference being that
personally-identifiable info is removed.  Using this configuration, I
can launch a browser using 'ctrl-b', but no url is selected.  In the
message header input fields, the only way I can get aliases expanded is
to type the entire nickname; tab just rings the terminal bell, and no
menu ever comes up.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

# A basic .muttrc for use with Gmail

# Change the following six lines to match your Gmail account details
set imap_user = "MYGmeilUsername"
set imap_pass = "MYDirtySecret"
set smtp_url = "smtp://MyGmeilUsername:587/"
set smtp_pass = "IfITelluIHave2Killu"
set from = "MyGmailUsername gmail com"
set realname = "Sexy Nerd"

# Change the following line to a different editor you prefer.
set editor = "nano"
set alias_file=~/.mutt/aliases
set sort_alias=alias
set reverse_alias=yes
source ~/.mutt/aliases
#  url viewer macro
macro pager \cb <pipe-entry>'iceweasel %s&'<enter> 'Follow links in iceweasel'

# Basic config, you can leave this as is
set folder = "imaps://imap.gmail.com:993"
set spoolfile = "+INBOX"
set imap_check_subscribed
set hostname = gmail.com
set mail_check = 120
set timeout = 300
set imap_keepalive = 300
set postponed = "+[GMail]/Drafts"
set record = "+[GMail]/Sent Mail"
set header_cache=~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir=~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file=~/.mutt/certificates
set move = no
set include
set sort = 'threads'
set sort_aux = 'reverse-last-date-received'
set auto_tag = yes
ignore "Authentication-Results:"
ignore "DomainKey-Signature:"
ignore "DKIM-Signature:"
hdr_order Date From To Cc
alternative_order text/plain text/html *
auto_view text/html
bind editor <Tab> complete-query
bind editor ^T complete
bind editor <space> noop

# Gmail-style keyboard shortcuts
# macro index,pager y "unset trash\n " "Gmail archive message"
# macro index,pager d "set trash=\"imap://imap.googlemail.com/[GMail]/Bin# # #  \"\n " "Gmail delete
message"
#  macro index,pager gi "=INBOX" "Go to inbox"
#  macro index,pager ga "=[Gmail]/All Mail" "Go to all mail"
#  macro index,pager gs "=[Gmail]/Starred" "Go to starred messages"
#  macro index,pager gd "=[Gmail]/Drafts" "Go to drafts"

alias shantimission Free Software Activism & Outreach <shantimission blu org>